HeadImage

HeadImage

Tuesday 24 July 2007

National Museum of Ireland

Popped into Collins Barracks this afternoon. It's great that there are new exhibitions. I remember a few years ago when I would visit the museum after a six month lapse and nothing new would have happened. But this time I was spoilt for choice of new exhibitions. My dad who was with me wanted to see the Soldiers & Chiefs so we started there. He had heard someone say that people can only hold their attention at an exhibition for 20 mins! I think this is a little short but by the fourth room I was flagging and in fact I've been to this exhibition before and not looked at the fourth room before so there may be some truth that visitors can only take so much. But the objects and information are magnificent.

I then went to the Ceramics Show. This was a display of contemporary sculptural pieces. Lovely. One room. Very accessible.

The Irish High Cross exhibition was stunning. The room is black and like a huge bare warehouse in blackness. These 7 replica celtic crosses stand tall in the room, each one illuminated from above. The info is published in a deep green colour scheme. The atmosphere in the room is black, stone, green. Magnificent! I hadn't time to read up on the crosses but they looked great and the display case with the cast was informative and very interesting.

I didn't get a chance to see the Whitewash & Thatch: Architectural Drawings from the 1930s and 40s and so I must get back to Collins Barracks before the 15th October!

No comments: