HeadImage

HeadImage

Monday 8 October 2007

Corporate Express Website, Conservatories & Car Showrooms

The corporate express stationery website is fantastic (www.corporateexpress.ie). You can flick through the catalogue, page by page and zoom in and (if you're a member) see the price. It loads really quickly. It's great!

I was thinking about conservatories the other day. Visited Farmleigh house recently - it has a beautiful conservatory. With greenery and lovely wrought iron furniture. I was lucky enough to have afternoon tea there once; most enjoyable! And it got me to thinking how that contrasted with the modern idea of a "conservatory" that people tack onto their houses, to put bamboo furniture in them. I don't think the idea of a conservatory these days is for plants, which is what I imagine was the main purpose in houses contemporary to Farmleigh. A conservatory these days, as far as I can see, is a dumping ground, a place for drying clothes and a little used additional sitting room.

My third thought in this post is about building types. In college we learnt that the Stadium is one of the building types of our times. Though lesser in size, it came to me that another building type of our times is the Car Showroom. Large glass building often with a mezzanine office often built off a busy road. Kind of a modern conservatory only with air-conditioning

No comments: