HeadImage

HeadImage

Wednesday 31 October 2007

The Hunt Musuem

I was in Limerick for a day or two and had time to see the Hunt Museum. I'd heard about it at lectures on Design History in NCAD.
The objects were varied, interesting, beautiful, educational.
The labels were dated and provided limited information.
I feel it could do with a make-over, a curatorial shuffle. I'm not clear what the layout was - chronological?
It was bizarre that we were told something like "blue stairs up, red stairs down" by the lady at reception when we bought our tickets whereas the circulation around the building was very clear.
There was a silver exhibition downstairs in the basement. It was laid out according to genre eg flatware, trophies, ceremonial, jewellery etc (I can't remember the topics precisely). And each section had laminated information sheets with limited information on each item:
3.5 Ladle, Mr X the Silversmith, 1850s.
Or something similar. I liked the numbering system. It took organisation. I thought it was a pity that the laminated sheets were located under the general info board for each topic. I kept seeing a nice object, grabbing the info sheet, moving on, seeing something else, having to grab the info sheet again. Silly me, I suppose. It might also have been nice to have other info on pieces for which it was available, some little story or something, on an additional laminated piece or... I'm not sure but it had potential.
The shop was incredibly disappointing. African jewellery and cabinets full of silver things, not much of which seemed particularly innovative, original or even Irish-made. There was a limited number of postcards, and they weren't of the best objects.
The restaurant was fab. Gorgeous goats cheese salad and meringue.

No comments: