HeadImage

HeadImage

Sunday 2 December 2007

The Spire does what it's supposed to!

When I originally heard about the Spike, before it was built, I was very excited that this huge, tall steel pin (12o m in height I think) could be seen from all over the city and we would know where the main street of the city was. This doesn't happen. Fair enough, I can see the spike from the front door of my house, but I live centrally and there's no obstructions (Dublin is a low-rise city). And the view from my doorstep is definitely an exception, I haven't spotted the spike from anywhere else.
Until tonight - I went walking behind my house and it must be a slight hill because there was a fantastic view. Exactly what I had hoped for when I first heard of the idea. X marks the spot on Alphie Byrne road where I took the photo.
The Millenium Spire stands at the junction of O’Connell Street and Henry Street/North Earl Street. It's about 5 years old (prob should be 7 going by it's name but this is Ireland, though I'm not sure how long it's there; doesn't seem like more than 5 years...). We call it The Spike. It was designed by Ian Ritchie and engineered by Roughan O'Donovan.
I wrote this a while ago with the intention of writing a wee article to inform people a little of the background of such an idea:
"In Rome during one of the busy bout of urban planning obelisks were widely used. On a map an obelisk appears as a dot. They act as landmarks; to mark particular important points in the city or to conclude a vista. They also act as memorial statues to a particular event. Previously, on O’Connell Street, stood a pillar - Nelson’s pillar. It was bombed by the IRA."

No comments: