HeadImage

HeadImage

Saturday 12 October 2013

Costume exhibition in Kilkenny craft gallery

This exhibition runs until 16th October 2013:
http://www.nationalcraftgallery.ie/exhibitions/costume

There were two rooms; two displays.
 "Behind the Scenes"
Turning the traditional idea of a costume exhibition inside out, Behind the Scenes focuses on the undergarment, demonstrating that these complex, functional pieces are beautiful objects in their own right. It follows the team’s journey from initial concept through sketching, designing, pattern-cutting, sampling, construction and tailoring to the finished pieces themselves. Featuring panniers, hoops, crinolines and bustles, specially created for the exhibition by the Abbey team, the exhibition celebrates the sculptural qualities of these beautiful objects and the superb craft skills employed in making them.

Very interesting, good exhibition. Beautiful space in which to house the exhibition.
Although not entirely consistent in terms of the approach taken with each demonstrated piece, eg some had pic of item on-stage; some had notes of the play/character/actor who wore it, some had story to go with it (bird-seed bra; duvet crinoline), some had notes on or interview with the designer. I'm being fussy but it's because the information that was there was so excellent that I would have liked similar for each item on display! The exhibition information boards needed a little more thought on the layout, or a bit of planning or... as I said, being fussy.
There was really great information and the story of the underwear garment provided alongside the fat man suit. Unfortunately for me, I'd heard all the stories on a radio programme so the surprises and highlights of this small exhibition were already known to me.
Setting out on my career as costume designer, I'm starting to draft my own patterns. Corsetry is something that fascinates me, I'm a little daunted by it.
These pattern pieces were labelled "Corset pattern pieces" - I was puzzled, how did they fit together?! On closer inspection, the pieces were labelled with different designer/character/actress names. It looks cool on the wall as it's laid out with the shadows behind the pieces, but ultimately there is no deeper layer of information provided.
***
"Future Fashion" was the second display and included pieces from:
Úna Burke
Andreia Chaves
Marloes ten Bhomer
Stephanie Bila
Ana Rajcevic
Julia Lundsten of FINSK
I'm in a "cage" phase at the moment so I particularly loved these Invisible Shoes.
Andreia Chaves is the creator; those works struck me above all and I sketched two of them: "Invisible Shoe 2" and "Goldsculpt 1".

Overall, a very worthwhile trip. Thank you -despite my pernickity comments - to curator Angela O'Kelly.

No comments: