HeadImage

HeadImage

Saturday 12 January 2008

The Bag Levy

I can't remember exactly when it came in, I could prob find out for sure on the Department of Environment website but it doesn't really matter. The consequence of the bag levy is what I want to discuss.
In Ireland, we have to pay for plastic shopping bags. It used to be 15c, I think it's gone up, I never take a bag now. It's supposed to free the hedgegrows of ugly plastic bags and help the environment etc.
But I am cursed, as a result, finding the right-sized plastic bin liner for my kitchen bin. I went through a phase of having a big bin with a black bag in the kitchen, to cut down on the small bags I was using but this was, needless to say, less than hygienic. So I'm back to using the little bin which is a perfect size for the handled bags we can get in supermarkets to bring home the groceries (the ones I don't get any more cos there's a levy and I'm trying to be good to the environment...) and I end up buying a roll of 50 bags in Tesco or somewhere. But they're never the right size. It's so frustrating. I don't know if the size of my bin was designed to accommodate the grocery bags or if that was a coincidence but my bin certainly wasn't designed to accommodate any of the bin bags I've bought so far.
Phew, I've got that off my chest! - that's what bloggings for eh?

No comments: