HeadImage

HeadImage

Sunday 23 March 2008

Shape follows function

I read about the health benefits of eating baked potatoes recently and so decided I should invest in a potato scourer to scrub the potatoes well before cooking and eating. A problem often encountered with brushes etc at a kitchen sink is how to distinguish the functions or uses of the different brushes from each other - which brush is for scrubbing dirty saucepans, which to clean fingernails and which to scrub vegetables.
In a kitchen shop, I spotted this hideous little brush whose 'handle' was shaped like a potato. Usually I run a mile from this kind of 'pop' design. I remember lectures in college on the topic where pictures of buildings (mostly in America!) were shown: an American fried chicken diner in a building shaped like a large chicken. I think the disney buildings are examples of this style. And an architect who enjoyed the unashamed madness was Charles Moore, if I remember correctly. I'm sure I could dig out my lecture notes and look into this more.
At any rate, the idea that an object or building is easy to read or interpret because it is shaped like the thing it represents is daft. Just because this brush is shaped like a potato does not mean that someone will not scrub their fingernails with it. I can't vouch for that particular incident but definitely, I have had to stop myself picking up this brush when cleaning saucepans when no other brush is available.
Though I will admit the plastic half potato is very comfortable to hold.

No comments: