HeadImage

HeadImage

Wednesday 25 April 2012

Creativity in the Kitchen: Lemon Curd

Making home-made jams, chutneys, sauces etc isn't just about the cooking in my house, it's also about the labelling, the jars, the presentation of the finished product.
Thanks to Glenilen Farm for their lovely yogurts and the pots which I re-used.
The labels are too big and maybe should be written in yellow or the likes but I think the yellow paper ribbon sets off the finished product!
The information on the label is:
  • my name / producer - Róisín's
  • name of product - Lemon Curd
  • ingredients - Lemons, Sugar, Butter, Eggs
  • care instructions - Store in fridge
  • use by date - 31 May 2012
My mam has a nice stamp which says "homemade by___". I don't know if computer printed labels or handwritten, or stamped are best. They could benefit from a little graphic design, I think! And maybe a picture of a lemon?!

The recipe was easy peasy but I haven't sampled it yet (they're still cooling). I love a recipe that's about "chemical process". At one point it looked impossibly runny but another 10 minutes on the heat and the consistency started getting thicker.

ingredientcost
3 very large lemons0.89
caster sugar (third of bag)0.36
butter (used approx 1/4)0.55
eggs (4/6 pack used)1.39
total€3.19

I filled 5 pots = 800g of finished produce!
There was one egg white left over. I whisked it up with 2oz of sugar and baked it at low heat.
Off I go now to have meringue with lemon curd, and yes, I think I will add a dollop of cream. Yum.

No comments: